Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Lies, Glyburide, and a worried mom.

I got a phone call this afternoon from a midwife from the clinic who said that due to my blood sugars that have been off, they wanted to put me on a medication to manage it better. Not insulin, Glyburide.

So I asked a normal question... "Are there any side effects?" and she answered "None, just lower blood sugar!"

I asked why not put me on insulin? She said that I didn't need it, and that if I went on insulin I would be considered a high risk pregnancy and therefor no longer able to see someone from the clinic for my care and at the time I go into labor. 

They called the script into my pharmacy and I went to pick it up. Turns out they had not ACTUALLY called it in, so I had to straighten out that mess in the store, then wait, then drive back to pick it up.

It was at this time that the first red flag got noticed. The pharmacist told me about a bunch of possible side effects, and some that are pretty much guaranteed to happen if I take the medication and DON'T eat within half an hour. Then, the instructions on the bottle were wrong... they said "Take 30 minutes AFTER dinner" when in truth, it is supposed to be "Take 30 minutes BEFORE dinner".

I got home from the pharmacy and read the papers for the pills. I did some research online... I found out that the manufacturer of the drug does NOT recommend that it be used by pregnant or breastfeeding women because there have not been enough studies done. 

So, long story short... I feel like I was lied to by one of the midwives. And at this point, I think I might need to find someone to see for prenatal care and as a person to deliver the baby who will let me be on insulin and it may be no great loss to not be going to that place.

But we have an appointment there tomorrow, so I will talk to the person who I spoke to on the phone. I will tell her what I found, including all the research I printed out, and tell her that it made me feel upset because it was a lie that I was told, that there were no side effects to the pills.

Needless to say, I didn't take them tonight. It isn't just my life in my hands anymore, it is HIS life too. And I don't want to do anything to me or him without knowing the full story of what is going on.

Will update tomorrow about what happens at the clinic. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search Engine Submission - AddMe