Friday, September 3, 2010

Eating problems?

I wonder if Liam is eating enough.

Some web sites are suggesting that he should be eating 2.5 ounces for every pound.

But at 14 pounds now, maybe even 15, he just will not eat 2.5 ounces for every pound he is. Some meals he will eat 5 ounces, some meals just 2, others 3... but I have kept track and it doesn't add up to the 37.5 ounces a day that says he should eat. Some days he doesn't even reach 25 ounces.

I offer him food and even on a 5 or 6 ounce bottle he will only eat 3 ounces. And when I offer him food in between he will eat maybe an ounce or two and then be not hungry anymore. If he even eats at all before the "OMG I am so hungry I am gonna scream my head off until you feed me" times that happen after he has been napping. If he isn't super hungry he just won't eat a thing. He will just push the nipple out with his tongue and wrinkle up his face and whine.

And of course this means I am having to throw out baby formula sometimes since I just simply can not bring myself to put it in the fridge, then warm it back up and then RE fridge the portion left after adding more to it. Sometimes I am wasting 2 ounces at a time. It kills me because of how expensive the formula is.  I know that technically as long as it isn't out of the fridge for more than an hour its OK... but I have to count warming time, prep time, feeding time, burping time, then time before it fully cools in the fridge. Plus the original prep and feeding and burping time.

But when he is hungry, oh boy can he eat. I've seen him suck down 5 ounces in less than 10 minutes. it makes me smile to see his little milky smile when he is done, that drippy chin and his half closed eyes. So cute!

But he did sleep for 7 hours last night. YAY! It is a good thing to get some sleep. The only down side to that is that there is no longer any sleeping in after he wakes up to eat, since he wants to be UP and active after sleeping that long. Then after two hours or so of being awake he will want to sleep for another 3 or 4 hours, but I am too awake to nap then.

I suppose it will all balance itself out soon enough. He is gaining weight, as my sore shoulders can assure. He is healthy... I think he sleeps more than he should, but some of that is that when I hold him he gets all comfy and falls asleep on me. Then I don't want to wake him up because he is so peaceful and content looking.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search Engine Submission - AddMe