Monday, May 17, 2010

They said not to worry

I had my appointment today at the hospital for the AFI and the NST. Those went well, but while I was having the NST they found that my blood pressure was high and there was protein in my urine. Which are signs of preeclampsia. They drew some blood and those results were ok, but the midwife on call decided to put me on a modified bed rest. Which means I can come sit at my desk, or go make a simple meal in the kitchen, or do small things, but if I don't HAVE to do it, don't. So no dishes, no cleaning, nothing even remotely stressful or straining.

I have been given a list of warning signs, things to go into the hospital for... swelling in the face or hands, blurry vision, double vision, bleeding, upper gastric pain... So while I am sitting here being told "oh don't stress yourself" I have a whole PILE of things that are stressing me out.

Plus I have to do a 24 hour... collection.... before my next appointment to check for protein levels. I start that on Wednesday to bring in on Thursday. 

I am 37 weeks and 5 days. So definitely considered full term. I've been having Braxton Hicks contractions for days now, some of them being pretty gnarly, and at my last visit the midwife was checking my cervix and said that it felt like he was going to be a May baby.

I just wonder if it might not make sense at this point to just induce him. He is full term, and between worrying about the diabetes related stuff now adding this blood pressure crap on top of THAT... I don't think I can just Not Worry...

Dan is worried about me, he is so sweet. Making me promise to call him for ANY little problem, to promise to go in if anything even seems a BIT off. Which I would do anyways. At this point, I don't care if I go in and they tell me its nothing. I am not going to take any chances.

I wish there was a safe way to get labor going on its own. But all of the "home remedies" are not true or they are actually detrimental. All there is that is even remotely helpful is raspberry leaf tea which is just for uterine toning. So I am having some of that every night and who knows. If nothing else its more liquid to drink... they keep telling me to drink more liquids.

But as I am trying not to worry, there is some comfort. Little guy is JUST FINE. He is strong, his heart rate is fantastic, I feel him swishing and kicking and squirming and headbutting my bladder all day long. The AFI was fine, the NST was fine... he is doing just peachy keen. As long as I can feel him kicking, I am happy.

Which is one of the things I watch for... if I go more than two hours without feeling him kick I need to go in. So I am paying attention.

I just hope that when we are ready to give him a sibling it isn't this challenging!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search Engine Submission - AddMe